Registration is required only for the testing day – everyone is welcome to attend information meetings without pre-registration. Applications open in September.
Information for New Applicants (2023/2024) and Parents
DATES: September 26th | TBD
TIME: 6 PM – 8 PM
LOCATION: On UBC campus, in the Henry Angus (ANGU) building, room 098. ADDRESS: 2053 Main Mall, Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2
After both the electronic and email applications have been made, you are welcome to arrive at a testing date (see below). No invitations will be sent.
DATES: TBD. The original date of October 7th has been CANCELLED. An additional announcement will be posted later.
ADDRESS: 1924 West Mall – Auditorium Annex B
BUILDING: University Transition Program
ROOM: 240 D
TIME: 8:30 AM – 3:30 PM
PARKING: 6440 Memorial Road, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z2, UBC (Fraser River Parkade) OR 2140 Lower Mall, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z2, UBC (West Parkade)
UBC, the Vancouver School Board, and the BC Ministry of Education run a joint university preparation program – the University Transition Program – for academically exceptional students. Students enrolled in this program are eligible for admission to the University of British Columbia after their second year of UTP upon the recommendation of the UTP Program Coordinator, the approval of the dean of their faculty of choice, and the completion of required Grade 12 courses (or their equivalent) necessary for entry to that faculty.
Each year, the program accepts a maximum of 20 new students between the ages 13 to 15 out of over 200 applicants. Selection encourages gender balance and support for diversity, which is furthered as half of the accepted students must be from outside the Vancouver School District. The identification of potential students is comprehensive, rigorous, and unbiased using a variety of data.
*Note: The program will not accept current grade nine students.
How to Apply: The Most Important Steps
This page is intended as an overview and checklist for applicants. For more information about any of the steps, please visit FAQ.
- Attend a mandatory information session. After attending the first information meeting, you can attend any of the assessment days available. If you attend the first meeting, we recommend that you attend the first assessment day. You will not be able to prepare for our exams during the month in between the two exam dates.
- Fill out and submit the application form here to the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to attach a photo of the applicant to the application. In the subject, please only include the full name of the applicant (not parent, or guardian) with the last name, followed by the first name. (i.e. Subject line: Smith, John). You will receive an automated reply; if it doesn’t appear, try sending it again in a few minutes.
- Fill out an electronic form online here. Follow instructions listed there; this form is also mandatory.
The due date for both the electronic and emailed form is Oct. 3rd, 2022, for October testing, and Nov. 3rd, 2022, for November testing. Ensure you’ve completed both forms and submitted them by that date.
- Attend a Large Group Assessment. The student dropoff and pickup point is at Room 240D, Auditorium Annex B, University Transition Program, 1924 West Mall.
- Based on the results of the Large Group Assessment, students will receive further information regarding their application.