Thank you for your interest in the University Transition Program. The application and assessment process for the 2024/2025 academic year will be as follows:
UBC, the Vancouver School Board, and the BC Ministry of Education run a joint university preparation program – the University Transition Program – for academically exceptional students. Students enrolled in this program are eligible for admission to the University of British Columbia after their second year of UTP upon the recommendation of the UTP Program Coordinator, the approval of the dean of their faculty of choice, and the completion of required Grade 12 courses (or their equivalent) necessary for entry to that faculty.
Each year, the program accepts a maximum of 20 new students between the ages 13 to 15 out of over 200 applicants. Selection encourages gender balance and support for diversity, which is furthered as half of the accepted students must be from outside the Vancouver School District. The identification of potential students is comprehensive, rigorous, and unbiased using a variety of data.
Information for New Applicants (2024/2025) and Parents
- November 2, 2023 at 6 pm – Forest Sciences Centre (Room 1005) at UBC (nearest parkade is B4 Lot)
- January 10, 2024 at 6 pm – Neville Scarfe Buiding (Room TBD) at UBC (nearest parkade is West Parkade ) & via Teams link (to be posted)
When the application is received and when the applicant writes the group assessment has no impact on the applicant’s eligibility for the program. All applications will be evaluated on the same admissions criteria.
Large Group Assessments
Once the application package is received, applications are reviewed, and applicants are invited to complete a large group assessment. There will be two large group sessions:
- Date 1: November 14, 2023 (Tuesday)
- Date 2: Feburary 1, 2024 (Thursday)
ADDRESS: 1924 West Mall – Auditorium Annex B
BUILDING: University Transition Program
ROOM: 240 D
PARKING: 6440 Memorial Road, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z2, UBC (Fraser River Parkade) OR 2140 Lower Mall, Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z2, UBC (West Parkade)
After applicants have completed the Group Assessment, students will be invited to participate in a school visit and for possible further assessment. Please note, only invited students will be contacted. There is a limited number of seats in the University Transition Program. As students are offered seats and accept or decline their offer, further applicants will be contacted.
How to Apply: The Most Important Steps
This page is intended as an overview and checklist for applicants. For more information about any of the steps, please visit FAQ.
- Attend a mandatory information session. After attending the first information meeting, you can attend any of the assessment days available. If you attend the first meeting, we recommend that you attend the first assessment day. You will not be able to prepare for our exams during the month in between the two exam dates.
- For application information please visit here
- Attend a Large Group Assessment : Parents must be present at drop-off in order to sign an informed consent for the group assessment. The student drop off and pickup point is at Room 240D, Auditorium Annex B, University Transition Program, 1924 West Mall. Its a whole day assessment, Students are requested to bring : snacks & lunch, water bottle, pens & pencils and a book to read in the event you need to wait.
- Based on the results of the Large Group Assessment, students will receive further information regarding their application.